Wednesday, March 20, 2013

An e-world

Meeting with one of my students yesterday, I asked her about a project she was working on for the class.  Was she going to create a Facebook page or a Twitter account for her class project?

"I think Twitter," she said. "It's kind of a Twitter world these days."

Is it?

I'm not even sure I'm completely happy about a Facebook world.

As a writing professor, I feel I need to stay current with the various platforms that people are using to write.  Blogs make sense to me, and I've gotten used to Facebook.  But sometimes when I'm confronted with all the others--Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest--I start to lose interest.

Still, I like the idea of multimedia essays: writing that also incorporates images, links, maybe even audio. That's how I view blogs.  My Titanic blog, Reading the Titanic, is kind of a one-month-long multimedia essay.

I had my students do a bit of multimedia today.  They were to create multimedia pages about an E.B. White essay.  Here's one I created as a sample.

I hope it was useful--for getting them to think creatively about a subject, to get them thinking of multimedia.

I wonder what E.B. White would think about multimedia essays . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment