Tuesday, March 13, 2018

No, no, no, no, no, no, yes.

This semester in DC has been a wonderful adventure so far. We're doing the Urban Living thing, seeing historical sights, visiting museums, attending free lectures and concerts, and generally having a great time.

But it's not exactly what I had planned.

I was actually hoping to find some kind of employment while here. Not full-time, certainly, but SOMETHING.  I wanted to be working, at least a little!

Many of my friends didn't understand this. "You can just go to museums and all those free things," they told me. And yes, I'm doing that!
We visited the Postal Museum today.
But I don't just want to be a tourist here in DC. I yearn to be working, connecting with people, making a difference in the world with the talents that I have (and determination when talent isn't quite enough!)

So I applied for all kinds of work: non-traditional internships, part-time writing jobs, temporary communications positions. At one point, I was talking with a university writing center director about working part time as a consultant at her writing center. But that fell through.

I applied for jobs as an online tutor, a restaurant hostess, an office receptionist. I reached out to local contacts and sent letters to "friends of friends" who might be able to hire me. Didn't get anything.

Even the volunteer opportunities didn't work out: most of the Cool Places looking for volunteers (Smithsonian, Library of Congress, Botanical Garden) want volunteers to make a one-year commitment. I contacted the DC school district about volunteering--through the DC volunteer clearinghouse website (that's how you do it here)--but I never heard back.

But then finally: I got a Yes!

d365, an ecumenical devotional website, finally got back to me about an inquiry I'd sent about writing for them. Yes, they'd like me to write a week's worth of devotionals if I'm still interested . . . Yes, I am!

I wrote back immediately, and look forward to getting my assignment.

Just having someone recognize that I have something to contribute gives me a boost! It's one thing to know that for yourself, and another thing for someone to be willing to pay you to do what you do well!

No comments:

Post a Comment