Saturday, June 8, 2013

British Isles Choral Tour

So in about four days, I'm going to be singing here.

It's Christ Church, Dublin.  Isn't it beautiful?  I'm thinking the acoustics will be really interesting here!  Perfect for the group I'm singing with, the Cedar Valley Chorale Arts Society.  That concert will be the first of nine concerts--some formal, some informal--that we will perform as we make our way across the British Isles.

The touring group is a subset of Chorale Midwest, a group I just joined.  I auditioned for CM in August last year, and was delighted to be invited to sing with them.  They are an awesomely talented group.  Many of the members are former music majors and/or current music teachers in the public schools. Others are just true amateurs, lovers of music. We did three concerts this year, including a wide variety of music--Byrd, Mozart, spirituals, and contemporary choral music.

The tour just sounded too good to pass up!  Bruce generously encouraged me to go, and my brother and sister told me that Mom and Dad would want me to go, and they would want me to use some of my inheritance to take the trip. So I signed on.

We leave on Tuesday!

I bought myself a little iPod touch so I can take pictures and post them to facebook as I travel.  That way I can stay in touch with Bruce and the boys--and my friends who are online.  So watch for posts.

Here's a brief outline of the tour:

6-11: leave from Chicago OHare
6-12: arrive in Dublin--tour and dinner with Irish music show to follow
6-13:  visit Dublin, concerts at Christ Church and Bray Methodist Chapel
6-14:  Travel to Wales, stay at Ruthin Castle
6-15:  Short concerts at Liverpool Cathedral, Lancaster Cathedral; arrive in Edinburgh
6-16:  Visit Edinburgh, concert at Liberton Kirk
6-17:  Short concert at Ripon Cathedral, visit York Minster, Concert at Southland Methodist Chapel
6-18:  Short concert at Selby Abbey, arrive in London, evening in London
6-19:  Visit London; evening concert at Wembley Reformed Church
6-20:  Return to Chicago OHare

Thanks to Bruce for holding down the fort while I'm gone!
Thanks to my siblings for encouraging me to go!
Thanks to Mom and Dad for providing the funds for me to travel!  I will be thinking of you when I'm in some of those wonderful churches!

No comments:

Post a Comment