Sunday, June 9, 2013

Packing for an overseas trip

I've been packing for my British Isles Choir tour trip today.

I always try to leave plenty of time to pack. (As in a day or two, not a week or two!--I'm not quite that organized!)  I like having the time to remember things that I've forgotten, because I'm always thinking of something at the last minute.  More often, I remember forgotten items just after the last minute, and we have to go around the block and back into the driveway.

For this trip, I also created a packing list a couple weeks ago.  It was fun to add things to it as a way of getting psyched for the trip.

My bags are packed now for our early Tuesday morning departure.  I have 2 bags:  a 22" rolling suitcase and another carry-on with a shoulder strap.  The carry-on has all my choir stuff: performance attire (several editions as we have 9 concerts), black shoes, music folder.  The choir director insisted on having our concert stuff in a carry-on.  The rolling suitcase has everything else. I'll check it.


I put yarn tags on both of them so I can recognize them.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to fit my stuff into my usual suitcase (which is 20" and magenta!), so I'm using the 22" blue one.  I think I could have used the 20" one.  But it's nice to have extra room for the Expanding Clothes Problem (always happens on trips).  Also:  I want to buy a nice lambswool sweater, some gifts, and--of course--some tea and McVities!

Some of the choir members were concerned about packing and the weight limit.  That's not an issue for me, ever.  Here are some reasons why:

  • I'm small, so my stuff is small.  Doesn't take up much room.
  • I always dress in mix-n-match. My usual outfit:  dark pants/skirt, colorful top, cardigan. I know how to do traveling clothes because that's my usual wardrobe.
  • I don't mind wearing things more than once.
  • I am good at wedging lots of things into a suitcase.  When I taught in England the first summer, I used a "weekender"-sized Samsonite suitcase for the entire summer (10 weeks).

I always take a bag when I travel.  This time's no exception.

In my bag I have my purse (cross-body, roomy enough for a small umbrella), my Kindle, my umbrella, my crocheting, my folder of maps and information, that sort of stuff.

So that's it.  There's my luggage!  So does anyone want to give me overseas travel advice?  Is there anything I should be SURE to take along with me???

No comments:

Post a Comment