Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ice Skates

I went ice skating today.  Wore these skates.

I've had these skates for more than 15 years now.  They're LLBean skates, figure skates, and they have a nice layer of Thinsulate in them.  LLBean doesn't make them any more. The Thinsulate is a great idea--it gives them lots of support around the ankles, and it makes them warmer for skating outside without getting frozen toes.

I like to skate outside best, so the skates are perfect for me.

Here's where I skate:  at the rink at Bever Park, just a few blocks from my house.

I'm not sure it's really a "rink."  It's in the middle of a field in the park.  The city builds a wooden frame, lines it with plastic, floods it with water, and waits for the cold weather.

It was empty today.  Where are all the hockey players?

That's OK.  It was nice to have the place to myself.

Here's where you can put on your skates. Not a warming house like they used to have at the Ellis Park Lagoon--they had hot chocolate and maybe a fire in the fireplace?  But at least there's a bench for sitting to put on skates, someplace to leave boots.

Outside skating rinks are often a bit bumpy.  Someone yelled to me as I was out there: "how's the ice?"  "It's fine," I said.  "But is it bumpy?" he yelled back.  "It's OK," I said, but maybe it was bumpy.  No Zambonis here.  I don't know--I don't mind the bumps.  The bumps aren't enough to derail the skate blades, and the ice looks rather festive with bits of leaves and sticks frozen below the surface.

The first time I went this year, I felt a bit timid on the ice.  I hadn't skated last year at all because of our warm winter in 2012.  So I just skated slowly around until I got my sea legs back--or maybe it should be ice legs. 

That's what I did this time, but I felt more confident.  I skated faster this time, worked into the tighter circles more quickly, even tried a few figure 8s.  When I looked at the ice from a certain angle, I could see where I'd skated.

Today, I felt especially aware of the fresh air.  Indoor ice rink air always feels clammy, but outdoor air--especially when it's cold, but not too cold--is invigorating. It feels like it gets deep into your lungs.

Skating feels like a cross between walking and running:  not quite as pedestrian as walking, but not as exhausting as running.  There's that glide between steps--a moment of lightness, a freedom from gravity.  Then it fades; you come back to earth.  Another step-glide and a moment of lightness.

The only thing that connects a skater to the earth is a thin blade of steel. The blade itself rests on the thinnest of layers--a layer of vibrating water molecules, according to a scientific study of the physics of ice skating.  No wonder skating feels more liberating than roller skating, so light and free.  We skate on molecules.






No comments:

Post a Comment