Monday, January 21, 2013

Library


I love the library.
I love how when I walk into the library, there are all these books.
I love the displays of books the librarians set up.
I love the little cups with pencils in them and slips of paper to write titles on sitting next to the computers.
I love the New Books section.
I love picking up my reserved book from the reserved book shelves.
I love the Dewey Decimal system.
I love looking for new crochet books, even when there aren't any.
I love discovering new books by my favorite authors.
I love wandering through the fiction stacks.
I love books that have a title followed by "a Novel."
I love going to the magazine racks and finding the second-most recent New Yorker waiting for me.
I love the way the covers on library books make a swishing crackle sound when you open them.
I love the little stickers on the spines that say "M" for mystery.
I love the reference section, especially the part with books about bird locations and old maps.
I love seeing the reference librarians helping older people learn to use the computers or e-readers.
I love saying "My mother was a librarian.  My brother is a librarian.  My uncle is a librarian."
I love saying "My first job was working in a library and my husband used to work in a library."
I love placing my books on the digital checkout, and seeing the titles pop up on the screen.
I love walking out of the library with a big, fat, delicious stack of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment